There are many advantages to patenting your inventions. Patents provide exclusive rights and help prevent others from copying your invention. They allow you to monetize your invention, for example by selling or licensing the patent, and may encourage investors to finance your venture. Patents can also deter competitors from entering your space, and help assure your freedom to operate.
Regardless of the field of your invention, our lawyers have diverse technical knowledge to enable them to work with your team efficiently to understand and develop a strategy to protect your invention. Our lawyers have backgrounds in fields from biotechnology and chemistry, through to materials science, physics and electrical engineering. The breadth of our lawyers’ experience aids our understanding of your inventions, especially when multiple areas are implicated by a particular idea.
Our lawyers have experience in all areas of patent law, including prosecuting patent applications, conducting patentability and freedom-to-operate searches, validity and non-infringement opinions, impeachment and re-examination proceedings, appeals of refused patent applications to the Patent Appeal Board, transactions and licensing, domestic and international portfolio management, and litigating patent infringement issues.
Our lawyers have worked with clients to evaluate and secure intellectual property protection for inventions such as new hardware, mobile apps, fintech, smart devices, construction technologies, medical therapeutics and diagnostics, medical devices, consumer products, sporting goods, electronic devices, food processing technologies, downhole tools, oil and gas recovery technologies, pulping processes, graphics technologies, and more.
Have a new idea worth protecting but not sure where to start? Our Patent Primer has information to explain what patents are and how the patent process works.
Craig AshPartnerB.Sc. (Chemistry)
Alex BuonassisiAssociateB.A.Sc. (Electrical Engineering)
Bruce GreenPartnerA.B. (Physics) Princeton University
Roni JonesAssociateB.A.Sc. (Materials Engineering)
George Kondor Q.C.PartnerB.Sc. (Physiology)
Christina KwokAssociateB.Sc. (Biotechnology)
John LambertAssociateB.Sc. (Mathematical Physics)
Larissa LeongAssociateB.Sc. (Computer Science & Pharmacology)
Josh MaAssociateB.ASc. Mechanical Engineering and Bio-engineering
Jennifer MarlesPartnerM.Sc. (Biochemistry)
David McGruderPartnerB.Sc. (Chemistry)
Nikola RajicAssociateB.A.Sc. (Electrical Engineering)
Todd RattrayPartnerB.A.Sc. (Engineering Physics (Electronics))
Hilton SuePartnerElectrical Engineering
Jeff SunAssociateM.S. Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences
David TakagawaPartnerB.Sc. (Microbiology)
Dana Turner-RyanKnowledge Mgt. & Practice Innovation LawyerB.Sc. (Metallurgical Engineering)
Jayde WoodAssociateM.Sc. (Food Microbiology)
- Impact of COVID-19 on Patent Deadlines
- An Effective IP Strategy? – Patenting Treatment for COVID-19 Infections
- US-China Phase One Trade Deal: Stronger China IP Regime in the Making
- “Hey AI Bot, can you find a cure?” Artificial Intelligence as “Persons” in Medicine, Healthcare, and Beyond
- Welcome to the New Patent Law in Canada!
- Beyond a “Reasonably Diligent Search” in an Obviousness Attack
- Protecting IP in China: The Utility Model Opportunity
- Tax Reforms Allow for Earlier Recovery of Patent Acquisition Investments
- Patent Drawings: Going from OK to Great
- Artificial Intelligence and Blockchain: US Patent Office Weighs In
- Pharmaceutical Patents and Canada’s Prohibition on Patenting Methods of Medical Treatment: A Predictable Pattern to Follow?
- Provisional Patent Applications: Worth the Investment
- IP Protection for Blockchain Technologies
- Top Reasons to File in Canada
- FOCUS ON MEDICINAL CANNABIS: IP PROTECTION FOR THERAPEUTIC USES
- Patent Term Extension: Now Available in Canada
- Your First Patent Application: What You Need to Know
- How and When to Challenge a Patent or Patent Application in Canada
- Strategic Considerations and Patent Application Examination Options in Canada
- Trade Secrets 101
- 5 Tips for Protecting your Startup’s Intellectual Property
- Got a New Plant Variety? There’s an Act for That!
- Sharing an Office Space May Adversely Impact Your Business’s Ability to Obtain Valid Patent Protection
- Is a Marijuana IP Gold Rush Coming to Canada?
- An Uncertain Prognosis for the Patentability of Diagnostic Methods in Canada
- Privilege: Coming Soon to Canadian Patent and Trademark Agents
- GPPH: More Than a Two Lane (Patent Prosecution) Highway
- It Just Keeps Getting Harder: Pfizer Faces Further Challenges after its Viagra™ Patent Invalidation
- IP issues for mobile app developers
- Prometheus v. Mayo: A Setback for Diagnostic Method Patents in the US?
- From “first-to-invent” to “first-to-file”: How the first-to-file and novelty requirements under the new America Invents Act compare to Canadian patent law
- Invention disclosure and patent grace periods: How disclosing your invention before filing a patent application can severely limit your ability to obtain a patent