New treatments and diagnostics are on the forefront of the Biotechnology sector, and securing intellectual property protection for these advances is essential to obtaining investment to bring them to market. Patenting biotechnology raises unique issues because of the large amount of data required to support broad patent claims, and the changing parameters of what is considered patentable subject matter. It is key to work with an intellectual property lawyer who understands the difficulties companies in this field face.
Many of Oyen Wiggs’ lawyers have advanced degrees in the life sciences, including biotechnology, biochemistry, organic chemistry, microbiology, and physiology. The lawyers in our biotechnology practice group regularly write and speak on advances in the legal landscape in this area to keep at the forefront of developments. Our technical experience and legal knowledge close the gap between your research and securing meaningful intellectual property protection for your inventions.
Examples of our work in the biotechnology sector include our lawyers assisting clients to evaluate and secure protection for new antibodies, vaccines, biomarkers for detecting specific types of cancer, diagnostic methods, engineered protein constructs, DNA sequencing technology, nucleic acid amplification technology, methods for detecting biological molecules, cytokine therapy, radiotherapeutics, and more.
- An Effective IP Strategy? – Patenting Treatment for COVID-19 Infections
- “Hey AI Bot, can you find a cure?” Artificial Intelligence as “Persons” in Medicine, Healthcare, and Beyond
- Pharmaceutical Patents and Canada’s Prohibition on Patenting Methods of Medical Treatment: A Predictable Pattern to Follow?
- FOCUS ON MEDICINAL CANNABIS: IP PROTECTION FOR THERAPEUTIC USES
- Patent Term Extension: Now Available in Canada
- Trade Secrets 101
- Got a New Plant Variety? There’s an Act for That!
- Is a Marijuana IP Gold Rush Coming to Canada?
- An Uncertain Prognosis for the Patentability of Diagnostic Methods in Canada
- It Just Keeps Getting Harder: Pfizer Faces Further Challenges after its Viagra™ Patent Invalidation
- Prometheus v. Mayo: A Setback for Diagnostic Method Patents in the US?
- Invention disclosure and patent grace periods: How disclosing your invention before filing a patent application can severely limit your ability to obtain a patent