Consumer products span a wide range of goods, from sporting goods and athletic apparel to household appliances and portable electronics. Copyright, trademark, design and patent rights all have potential roles to play in protecting these products. Intellectual property protection may even be available for innovative packaging. It is important to work with a lawyer who can provide practical and creative advice to help you determine what forms of intellectual property protection are most suitable for your business.
Our lawyers understand the nuances of the consumer product industry. For example, our lawyers have assisted numerous companies obtain patents and industrial design registrations for innovative consumer products and packaging designs. Our in-depth services also include conducting trademark searches, obtaining trademark registrations, enforcing trademark rights, and advising clients on contractual matters such as licenses and transfers of brand rights.
Our lawyers have assisted clients to evaluate and secure intellectual property protection for artist’s tools, luggage, sporting goods, clothing, footwear, household hydroponics systems, household appliances, electronics devices, pet accessories, insect traps, cosmetic products, security devices, hand tools, and more.
Craig AshPartnerB.Sc. (Chemistry)
Thomas BaileyPartnerB.Sc. (Cellular Biology)
Lawrence ChanSenior CounselB.Sc. (Honors Biochemistry)
Karen ChowAssociateB.A. & Sc. (Chemistry & Sociology)
Nicholas GarnerPartnerB.A.Sc. Mechanical Engineering
Mihaela HutanuTrademark Agent
Roni JonesSenior AssociateB.A.Sc. (Materials Engineering)
Christina KwokPartnerB.Sc. (Biotechnology)
John LambertAssociateB.Sc. (Mathematical Physics)
Garth LeslieAssociateB.Sc. (Mechanical Engineering)
Gavin ManningCounselM.Sc. (Physics)
Jennifer MarlesPartnerM.Sc. (Biochemistry)
David McGruderPartnerB.Sc. (Chemistry)
Todd RattrayPartnerB.A.Sc. (Engineering Physics (Electronics))
Paul SmithPartnerB.Eng (Electrical)
David TakagawaPartnerB.Sc. (Microbiology)
Dana Turner-RyanKnowledge Mgt. & Practice Innovation LawyerB.Sc. (Metallurgical Engineering)
- Navigating the Amazon Brand Registry
- IP Protection for Blockchain Technologies
- Celebrate Canada’s 150th Birthday with the Official Mark
- Trade Secrets 101
- Is a Marijuana IP Gold Rush Coming to Canada?
- Registrability of Geographical Place Names as Trademarks in Canada
- SCC Reaffirms Importance of Technological Neutrality to Canadian Copyright Law
- GPPH: More Than a Two Lane (Patent Prosecution) Highway
- New top-level domains are coming to a browser near you – how to protect your trademark in view of these changes
- Choosing a new trademark: It’s all about being distinctive, distinctive, distinctive!
- From purple candy bar wrappers to red sole shoes: the increasing commercial significance of colour marks
- Apple v. Samsung and the importance of design registration
- Prometheus v. Mayo: A Setback for Diagnostic Method Patents in the US?
- Invention disclosure and patent grace periods: How disclosing your invention before filing a patent application can severely limit your ability to obtain a patent