IP Litigation and Enforcement
Litigation is a defining aspect of our practice since we first opened, and we are known for being tireless in pursuit of a correct decision.
We act on behalf of plaintiffs to enforce their intellectual property against infringers, and in defence of those accused of infringing the intellectual property of others.
In the past, we have secured successful outcomes in the Federal Court, the Federal Court of Appeal, the British Columbia Supreme Court, the British Columbia Court of Appeal, the Trademarks Opposition Board and the Patent Appeal Board. We have also acted against patent trolls in Canada and through US associates, with outstanding outcomes for our clients.
We have extensive experience asserting and contesting the validity of patents, trademarks and industrial designs. Our team also litigates copyright infringement actions, passing off, contractual claims relating to intellectual property and breach of confidence actions, trademark oppositions in Canada and the US, and appeals to the Federal Court from CIPO decisions.
Our experience also includes interim and interlocutory injunctions practice, patent invalidity actions and counterclaims, patent re-examinations, trademark expungement proceedings (summary & Federal Court applications), domain name dispute proceedings, contempt of court proceedings, raids in execution of orders and judgments, Anton Piller relief, including acting as Independent Supervising Solicitor on Anton Piller Orders and letters rogatory.
Not all enforcement involves court action and litigation. We can monitor portfolio infringements for key clients, asserting and defending against claims of infringement, or misappropriation of intellectual property.
Effective enforcement may involve elements of public relations, dealing with an infringer’s suppliers, customers, and distributors, or interdicting third party web distribution channels for infringing products.
Alex BuonassisiAssociateB.A.Sc. (Electrical Engineering)
Leslie ChanAssociatePh.D (Cell Biology)
Lawrence ChanSenior CounselB.Sc. (Honors Biochemistry)
Karen ChowAssociateB.A. & Sc. (Chemistry & Sociology)
Roni JonesSenior AssociateB.A.Sc. (Materials Engineering)
John LambertAssociateB.Sc. (Mathematical Physics)
Garth LeslieAssociateB.Sc. (Mechanical Engineering)
- Authoring A.I.
- CHINA’S NEW PATENT LAW TO STRENGTHEN IP PROTECTION
- The Metes and Bounds of Section 53.1 Begin to Take Shape
- Not a Block and White Issue: Canada’s First Site-Blocking Order
- Beyond a “Reasonably Diligent Search” in an Obviousness Attack
- The Collective Demands of Copyright Infringement Demand Letters
- Place Names and Trademarks – the Dangers of Naming Your Business After Its Location
- Cost Effective Jurisdictions for IP Disputes
- Enforcing Alleged Trademark Infringement on Social Media
- How and When to Challenge a Patent or Patent Application in Canada
- Can You Stream Your Way Around Copyright Infringement in Canada?
- Canadian Anti-Spam Legislation is Coming Into Force…Are You Ready?