Paul believes in professionalism and in providing prompt and effective advice, advocacy, and services to the firm’s clients. He enjoys litigating intellectual property cases and handling difficult patent prosecution cases, like those relating to computer-implemented inventions.
He has proven himself a serious and tenacious litigator in the Federal Court, the Federal Court of Appeal, the British Columbia Supreme Court, the British Columbia Court of Appeal, and, earlier in his career, the Ontario courts. Paul has acted as an officer of the court in his capacity as an Independent Supervising Solicitor on the execution of an Anton Piller Order.
Fluently bilingual, Paul easily pleads in French when the need arises.
An avid sportsman, Paul was a competitive curler in his younger years, dabbled in skydiving and paragliding, and presently plays hockey or squash a few times a week. He also enjoys tennis whenever friends are available and is a kiteboarder.
- Consistently recognized by Best Lawyers for Canada, Intellectual Property Law
- Engineers and Geoscientists British Columbia (P. Eng.)
- Professional Engineers Ontario (P. Eng.)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE)
- Fellow, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada AIPPI
- Patent and Trademark Association of British Columbia (Chair, 1992-93)
- Litigation Committee, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (misc. 1995-2012)
- Patent Legislation Committee, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (misc. 2006-2011)
- International Trademark Association, Co-chair, Trans Pacific Partnership Sub-committee (Free Trade Areas, 2014-2015)
- Board of Directors, Association des Juristes D’Expression Francaise de la Colombie Britannique, 2016-2018
- Infringing Use as a Defence to Infringement Feb. 2019
- DMCA Notices Interdict Online Distribution of Infringing Software Dec. 2018
- Google Forced to Assist in Anti-piracy Effort April 2018
- Equustek Case — US District Court overrules SCC? Nov 2017
- Don’t Feed the Trolls! June 2017
- Litigation Privilege Applies between Adverse Parties July 2017
- Guest Lecturer – Engineering Engineering Law and Ethics Simon Fraser University — 2020, 2021
- You can have a Great Idea, but can you “own it”? Societe de Developpement Economique (C.-B) and the Association des Juristes d’Expression Francaise (C.-B.), April 2020
- Moot Court, Association des Juristes D’Expression Francaise de la Columbie Britannique, 2016-2019
- Access Pro Bono, 2018-2019