Evolving consumer tastes and demand for quality continue to drive new products and processing technology in the Food and Beverage industry. Branding also plays an important role in this area due to the general nature of the consumer base and the significant level of competition. For example, the explosion in craft brewing and steady growth in health foods mean that companies rely heavily on their brand to distinguish them from their competitors. You need an intellectual property lawyer who can both help you protect your technical advances, and also carve out a space for your brand, in this crowded industry.
Oyen Wiggs lawyers have the legal and technical experience to understand the nuances of the food and beverage industry. For example, our lawyers have assisted numerous companies obtain patents and industrial design registrations for innovative food and beverage products, food preservation technologies, and packaging designs. Our in-depth services also include conducting trademark searches, obtaining trademark registrations, enforcing trademark rights, and advising clients on contractual matters such as licenses and transfers of brand rights.
Our lawyers have helped clients to evaluate and secure intellectual property protection for food preservation technologies, alcoholic beverages, health foods, supplements, water bottles, containers for processed foods, candy manufacturing technologies, chocolate, and more.
Thomas BaileyPartnerB.Sc. (Cellular Biology)
Roni JonesAssociateB.A.Sc. (Materials Engineering)
George Kondor Q.C.PartnerB.Sc. (Physiology)
Christina KwokAssociateB.Sc. (Biotechnology)
Larissa LeongAssociateB.Sc. (Computer Science & Pharmacology)
Jennifer MarlesPartnerM.Sc. (Biochemistry)
Stephanie MelnychukAssociateM.Sc. (Chemistry)
Todd RattrayPartnerB.A.Sc. (Engineering Physics (Electronics))
Hilton SuePartnerElectrical Engineering
David TakagawaSenior AssociateB.Sc. (Microbiology)
Jayde WoodAssociateM.Sc. (Food Microbiology)
- Trade Secrets 101
- Is a Marijuana IP Gold Rush Coming to Canada?
- GPPH: More Than a Two Lane (Patent Prosecution) Highway
- New top-level domains are coming to a browser near you – how to protect your trademark in view of these changes
- International Trademark Registrations Under the Madrid Protocol
- Choosing a new trademark: It’s all about being distinctive, distinctive, distinctive!
- From purple candy bar wrappers to red sole shoes: the increasing commercial significance of colour marks
- Apple v. Samsung and the importance of design registration
- Prometheus v. Mayo: A Setback for Diagnostic Method Patents in the US?
- Invention disclosure and patent grace periods: How disclosing your invention before filing a patent application can severely limit your ability to obtain a patent