Trademarks distinguish a company’s goods and services from those of its competitors, and allow business owners to develop goodwill in a brand and build customer loyalty. As a business grows, its brand becomes more valuable. Investing in and protecting a trademark at an early stage can provide a solid foundation for building the value of your brand. Whether you are considering a new trademark or have been using your trademark for twenty years, it is important to work with a lawyer who understands your business objectives and marketing plans.
Our lawyers have experience in all areas of trademark law, including litigating trademark and trade dress issues, unfair competition, anti-counterfeiting, clearance searches, validity opinions, prosecuting trademark applications, oppositions and cancellations, domain name dispute resolution, transactions and licensing, domestic and international portfolio management, and trademark policing.
We have assisted some of the world’s most recognizable brands navigate nuanced trademark laws in Canada and worldwide. Our clients span a wide range of industries, including craft beer, cannabis, sporting goods, clothing, footwear, consumer products, mobile apps, medical devices, financial services, entertainment, construction services, professional services, education, and more.
Craig AshPartnerB.Sc. (Chemistry)
Thomas BaileyPartnerB.Sc. (Cellular Biology)
Tyler BergAssociateB.Sc. (Physics)
Alex BuonassisiAssociateB.A.Sc. (Electrical Engineering)
Bruce GreenPartnerA.B. (Physics) Princeton University
Roni JonesAssociateB.A.Sc. (Materials Engineering)
Christina KwokAssociateB.Sc. (Biotechnology)
Gavin ManningPartnerM.Sc. (Physics)
Jennifer MarlesPartnerM.Sc. (Biochemistry)
Stephanie MelnychukAssociateM.Sc. (Chemistry)
Todd RattrayPartnerB.A.Sc. (Engineering Physics (Electronics))
Hilton SuePartnerElectrical Engineering
David TakagawaSenior AssociateB.Sc. (Microbiology)
Jayde WoodAssociateM.Sc. (Food Microbiology)
- Enforcing Alleged Trademark Infringement on Social Media
- Top Reasons to File in Canada
- How to Register a Famous Name as a Trademark in Canada
- The Legal Implications of the “IRONMAN” Tattoo
- Celebrate Canada’s 150th Birthday with the Official Mark
- Amendments to Canada’s Trademark Laws: What You Need to Know
- Registrability of Geographical Place Names as Trademarks in Canada
- Offensive Trademarks as Free Speech: a Canadian Perspective
- Privilege: Coming Soon to Canadian Patent and Trademark Agents
- International Trademark Registrations Under the Madrid Protocol
- Choosing a new trademark: It’s all about being distinctive, distinctive, distinctive!
- From purple candy bar wrappers to red sole shoes: the increasing commercial significance of colour marks
- IP issues for mobile app developers
- Protecting your trademarks south of the border: Differences between Canadian and American trademark law